I put this meal together after making ‘vegan pesto on a budget‘ and it turned out so well I thought it worth recording. The recipe is very basic and adaptable, just use whatever you have and add pesto!
Here’s what I used..
- 4 or 5 pesto cubes, defrosted at room temperature (or about 3 tablespoons of fresh pesto – use to your taste)
- about 250 grams of small tube macaroni, cooked and rinsed under cool water
- 1 zucchini, sliced and steamed until just cooked (I did this in a bowl in the microwave on high for a minute or two, stirring a couple of times and with a teaspoon of water with the veg to help the steaming process)
- 1 tomato, cut into small chunks or cubes
- 1 cup of raw celery, sliced
- 1 tin of mixed beans (I used Aldi five bean mix – costs about 60 cents!)
- 1 bunch of raw bok choy or other green vegetable, chopped (broccoli would be nice too, perhaps steamed a little)
- 1/2 cup of sliced raw spring onion
Method: Cook, rinse and drain the pasta, defrost the pesto, chop and steam any vegetables you think need it, drain and rinse the beans, then mix it all together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold or hot – delicious both ways!
Other additions: You could add nutritional yeast, half a tin of crushed tomatoes, marinated fried tofu or tempeh, rice or quinoa instead of pasta, corn kernels, marinated mushrooms, parsley or other herbs, vegan cheese, cashew cream etc… the possibilities are endless!