Well it’s New Years Day, 1 January 2014, and what better way to celebrate than with a fresh tropical salad, made with what I had on hand, a few things from the garden, and some mangoes from my friend Katie’s trees in Caboolture. I also though it would be good to get some fresh fruit and veg into the system after the champagne and cocktails last night! I have to thank my sister-in-law Cathy for the inspiration here, she made a beautiful curried rice salad for Christmas day, which was really delicious with apples instead of mangoes. She also taught me how to make the Caipirinha, the limey and refreshing national drink of Brazil pronounced ‘kay-peer-reen-ya‘ that went down a treat at both Christmas and New Years! I’m a lucky gal.
What goes into a New Years Day salad? Here’s the list:
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, partially cooled (yes, it’s quite a big batch)
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 large mild red chilli, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced/sliced finely
- 1 cup finely diced fresh mango (mine was half ripe/half quite green, anything goes here)
- 1 spring onion (all I had left), sliced finely
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 1 and 1/2 diced Lebanese cucumbers
- 1/2 a handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (any type will do)
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp curry powder (I used Clive of India, for that old school English curry taste)
- 3 tsp powdered sugar (I have this on hand, it’s just raw sugar whizzed in the blender to create a powder), could also use Agave nectar, brown sugar or jaggery.
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
Method: Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Shake the dressing ingredients in a jar and pour over salad, mixing through. Have some for lunch, put the rest in the fridge to go with dinner.
Note. This recipe makes a tonne, we’ll have it with all sorts of other dishes over the next few days. I’d probably even eat it on toasted sourdough for breakfast with some home made vegan mayo (everything is good on home made sourdough toast).